All cars must pass the following inspection to qualify for the race:
- Width shall not exceed 2-3/4 inches
- Length shall not exceed 7 inches
- Weight shall not exceed 5 ounces (141.75 grams)
- Axles, wheels, and body shall be from the materials provided with the kit
- Wheel bearings, washers, and bushings are prohibited
- Wheels may be sanded but cannot be altered in basic shape. All wheels are to be the "official BSA" marked on the inside of each wheel. No hubcaps are allowed. Wheels may not be rounded or "V-notched", grooves cut into the tread, or width narrowed. The raised lettering on the outside of the wheel must not be removed.
- The distance from the front and read wheels may be altered, however the wheels cannot extend the overall dimensions of 7 inches.
- Axles supplied from the kit are to be used. They may be filed, sanded, polished, but no plating allowed. ONLY OFFICIAL BSA AXLES ARE ALLOWED. Inspectors can tell the difference!
- No lubricating oil may be used. Dry lubricant only! Axles may be lubricated with powdered graphite or silicon.
- The car shall not ride on any spring.
- The car must be free wheeling, with no starting devices.
- The front of the car cannot extend past the starting post, for example forked front.
- Body details such as windshields, steering wheels, drivers, etc may be added but must be securely fastened to the car.
- The track contains a center strip 0.75" wide and 0.225" high. Please ensure there is sufficient clearance from the bottom of the car to the center strip. It is not recommended to add anything to the bottom of the car which may interfere with the center strip. When adding weight, drilling holes flush from bottom or ends is recommended. The bottom weight plates if surface mounted may interfere unless sunken into wood.
- If problems occur, contact William Loth, Asst Cubmaster, as we have spare kits.
What is the Pinewood Derby?
The Pinewood Derby is designed to encourage sportsmanship, competition, and fun for all scouts. The kits will be given to you by your leader.
Inspection & Weigh In: When you first arrive, cars may be tuned up and lubricated and given ONE test run only. Then you will take to the inspection station for inspection and weigh in. For weigh in, we will use a digital scale. If you do not pass initial inspection, there will be a table set up to make adjustments. When you have passed the inspection, cars will be moved by the scout to the official race table. After this point, no cars may be touched until the time of the race, and only by the scout. No additional lubrication may be done after the car passes the inspection. During the race, if special circumstances exist, like a car getting dropped or flying off the track, may emergency repairs be made. This process of weighing all the cars and inspection usually take about 60-90 minutes.
Awards: Trophies will be awarded for the following: Top 3 fastest cars using combined average in the Pack. Other trophies will be awarded for Best in Show, Most Creative, and Best Theme or Most Innovative! Good luck racers!